I would suggest finding a Streaming API client in the stack of your
choice and writing a little application around the client. I'd then
wrap your client with daemon(1) and start it all from init.d. Unless
carefully considered, shortcuts are likely to be less reliable or will
eventually cause you to be banned.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.