Twitter is a messenger system. They want people to use the system.
They also want the people to make of the service what they will. If
they opened it up and made affiliates out of developers and producers,
they would have a free marketing force beyond the twiddle celeb fetish
factor.

If they made API reg, for instance, every new wordpress sign up could
simultaneously become a new twitter user.