For the Search *API*, the geocode (lat,long,radius) is a separate parameter
on the call, *not* part of the "q=" string. If you go to Advanced Search and
type "near:97201 within:25mi", it will work, but if you supply that as a
query to the API it won't. You have to look up the latitude and longitude of
the 97201 zip code and create a geocode parameter.

Just on the off chance someone else cares about happenings within a 25 mile
radius of Portland, Oregon, here's the string I use:

my $pdx_geocode = "45.511795,-122.675629,25mi"; # PDX geocode