Is the HTTP code really 0, or did you receive a TCP reset without any
bytes read and your HTTP library is returning a code of 0? (There may
be other error indication flags in the client which aren't being
checked before testing the HTTP response code.) Or, perhaps the the
HTTP response header corrupt?

Use tcpdump or other sniffer to determine for sure.

-John Kalucki
http:twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.