Not to be a complete pill, but that is a terrible, terrible initial
experience for the average desktop app user. There is no way I would
or could reasonably ask one of my users to register an app themselves,
then fill in obscure hashes.

The OAuth secret is simply impossible to use securely with open
source, end-user-oriented applications. My only option with Spaz, when
Twitter decides to take away basic auth, is to pray someone doesn't
decide to steal my "secret" hash.

Compiling does make getting the key more difficult, but assuming that
desktop apps are compiled isn't a good idea -- Spaz isn't, for
example. I could obscure the code for the end user, I suppose, but
doing so seems contrary to open source philosophy, and probably just
presents a challenge.

OAuth as-is just wasn't designed for desktop apps, period. Square peg,
round hole. If Twitter is insisting on it, I'd rather this was
portrayed as a trade-off for increased user security, than a solvable
problem -- I don't think it is.