I'm speculating, but I wonder if you do a blind form post to change
usernames with non-ascii characters whether it will accept them?  I
think part of the validation by Twitter is done client-side (or so it
appears), and that the Twitter databases store screen_name in utf-8
rather than ascii.

I searched my database and found a number of Twitter screen names with
spaces.  But we have been getting a number of warnings about non-ascii
characters... no idea what these are yet (as our database won't hold
them as we (wrongly) assumed that they would only be ascii).  But I am
warn'ing them out and will report what I find.

It would be rather crazy to find, say, a single character Chinese
Twitter screen name!