I ended up rolling back my library to an earlier version of my
encoding algorithm and things are working now.
Unfortunately, it meant sacrificing compatibility with multibyte
characters, so my library loses some functionality.

It's frustrating to have production code fail test cases that worked
the day before.  But when you don't have complete control over the
entire system, these are the things that will occasionally happen.

Thanks for looking into it, Ryan.