twitter only returns data back in its "geo" field if the tweet has been
explicitly geotagged.

search, however, attempts to use other signals to determine where the tweet
is, and will attempt to return "more" tweets when you use its "search"
parameter.  it does not, however, expose those signals in the search
results.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team