Carl,

At this point, we are not encouraging end-user applications to communicate
directly with the Streaming API. The primary purpose of the Streaming API is
currently for service-to-service integrations. For example, we don't
currently support oAuth.

You may release your application, however. Each user must provide their
credentials over basic auth. If everyone came in with your credentials,
first, they'd probably be able to change your password and/or create spam on
your account. Secondly, the Streaming API only allows one connection per
account at a time. You'd only be able to support one user on your
application -- yourself.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.