Actually, this whole Chinese user issue affects web apps as well.
Because, with OAuth, any Chinese user (or any user whose company
blocks Twitter.com) cannot use the web app or add the Twitter account
to a web app that uses OAuth.

So, web apps should have the option of offering their users the xauth
path.