I noticed this too, also noticed that Twitter sends no-cache header
and expiration far in the past, which is just another way to tell
browser not to cache anything.

You can find my recent post here under subject "Why do you sent no-
cache headers"

I don't know why they sending Etag then, looks like it's half-
implemented, maybe they are still working on implementing the correct
way to deal with conditional requests.

Since they probably don't store static files, it requires some extra
programming to parse the conditional requests and then decide if to
return 304 Not modified or an actual 200 response.