One further note: A reasonable workaround for the moment is to, if your
client allows iotcls, set a socket timeout of about 90 seconds on your
streaming api connection. The servers currently send a newline every 30
seconds. If you stop receiving newlines for 90 seconds, your connection is
probably high and dry, and you should reconnect. Please be sure to continue
honoring the reconnection policies as described in the wiki, however.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.