The answer will depend on the language you're working with, but generally it
will involve using a regular expression to detect and extract the URL.

If you're using Ruby, you're in luck because Twitter has released its own
text processing code to the community:

http://github.com/mzsanford/twitter-text-rb

You'll want to use the extract_urls method in lib/extractor.rb or one of the
methods in lib/autolink.rb.

If you're not using Ruby you might peek at lib/regex.rb, which contains all
of the regular expressions used to detect URLs, and it wouldn't be difficult
to copy them over into whatever language you're using.

Jordan Running