I don't know anything about "gardenhose", but I do have some data from "sample". Assuming Twitter's published number of 50 million tweets per day is the full firehose (minus spam, according to the blog post), I've estimated that a typical weekday on "sample" is delivering over 3 percent of the total tweet volume.

My peak from "sample" this past week was 95,006 tweets for the hour starting "2010-02-24 01:59:59 +0000". The average JSON tweet is about 1400 bytes. That peak represents a bit rate of about 300 K bits per second.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdos

Quoting Mark McBride <mmcbr...@twitter.com>:

Hard numbers aren't made public, but it's safe to assume "significantly more
than spritzer"

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv