Twitter is rejecting tweets as too long when the nbsp character is
used. Here is an example tweet in plain text

Clue 5 of 15: R _ C _    _ _ N _    N _ _ E _    _ _ T E R    _    _ _
_ N E E R    _ N    _ _ R _ C U L T U R E http://www.puzzazz.com/s348
[140 chars]

And, as I'm sending it with the nbsp characters:

Clue 5 of 15: R _ C _
 _ _ N _
 N _ _ E _
 _ _ T E R    _
 _ _ _ N E E R
 _ N
 _ _ R _ C U L T U R E
http://www.puzzazz.com/s348

If the nbsp's are each counted as 6 characters, this would be 400
chars, but Twitter accepts tweets like this. For example, this tweet:

http://twitter.com/Puzzazz/status/9781320047

is 114 chars but I send 304 chars with the nbsp's.

I have a guess that this only happens when the resulting tweet is
exactly 140 chars. To test this theory, I just modified the site to
shorten that tweet below 140. Sure enough, it works:

http://twitter.com/Puzzazz/status/9963348931