I have my application cache the tweets in a database. It checks the
last-modified datetime of the database file and if it has been at
least 5 minutes since the last modification, then it matches the tweet
id numbers against the ones in the database and if a tweet's id isn't
in the database, it inserts the tweet as a new record.

Then rather than displaying my site's twitter feed itself on my site,
I display a recordset from the database. This way requests are limited
to 12 per hour. That's the intention anyhow.