Yah, the public_timeline was awesome back in the really early days of
twitter when volume was really low and you could actually keep up. Since
then its a vestige of the original Twitter API that doesn't really work
anymore because you can't see all tweets with it. It's just a limited random
number of tweets so it doesn't make it very useful.

The only advantages of the public_timeline is that its a simple get that
doesn't required auth and it's cacheable between users locally (since it
doesn't change very often). If you doing server to server access with the
API, it shouldn't be an issue to switch.

Even though I can't think of anything off the top of my head that API would
be useful for these days for desktop and mobile clients, there may be
something innovative that it may useful, which for those clients it kind of
sucks.

Since the streaming API doesn't support OAuth/XAuth yet like the other APIs
and like was said at the dev meet up is not really targeting connections
directly from the desktop/mobile clients connections right now, the
developers using that API are going to need to host a server in order to
replicate that functionality. It wouldn't be difficult to roll your own
server to replicate the public_timeline with data from the spritzer if you
had too, but some mobile and desktop developers hitting the Twitter API
directly may not be in a position to host their own servers for their own
clients.

Part of me says that it would be wise to wait until general xAuth is up and
running for everyone (for those that need to login without going through the
web) and is working on the streaming API and the streaming API is ready for
connections directly from clients. However the other half of me thinks that
that since the public_timeline sucks that it should just die either way.

Zac Bowling
@zbowling