Just to throw my 2 cents in.  Without a reasonable replacement for
mobile devices, we'll likely remove it, and I'm expecting a
substantial backlash from UberTwitter users.  It does look like it
would be relatively simple to roll-your own with the streaming api,
which makes me wonder why this is being removed.  I don't have metrics
on how many of my users access this endpoint, but I can say that in
the past year when there were issues with it, we would get plenty of
feedback.   People like to use it to randomly find interesting people.

If sounds like the twitter folks are re-considering, I hope so.

-Paul