There is indeed a hard limit to the length of URLs. POST parameters,
however, can be quite large. We have many clients that send parameters with
hundreds of thousands to millions of terms, so this is broadly possible.,
Your HTTP client may or many not support this scale.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.