I currently need to auto-discover new people who have started
following me.
Here's how I do it:

1. Periodically pull in my followers using '/followers/ids.json'.
2. Compare to my list of known ids to find new ids.

The slight downside of this is it seems somewhat inefficient (for
twitter).

If there was access to an event stream of follow/unfollow requests
this
would be much easier.  It also seems like it could be done with less
latency.  That is, if I have a lot of followers, I'm not going to want
to burden
the system by fetching the whole list at a high frequency.

However, if I were just fetching the latest follows, it seems like I
could
do this at a higher frequency and not affect twitter.

Questions:

1. Is there a better way to do what I want with existing API?
2. Are there emerging features that could make this better?

Thanks,

Zero