Hi,

I'm a security researcher at the University of Virginia I have been
looking into the use and adoption of http-only cookies. My advisor is
professor David Evans.

We were surprised to discover that your site seems to not use http-
only cookies, even for cookies that contain authentication
information. Even if the cookies are SSL-only, but by itself this does
not provide the same protection tagging the cookies as http-only would
(for example, they could still be stolen by a XSS attack).  So far as
we could tell from some simple dynamic experiments, there is no reason
why your site's cookies are not http-only (that is, the client-side JS
code does not appear to use the cookie contents in any way, and we've
tried accessing your site with a proxy that makes all the cookies http-
only and everything seems to work fine).

So, as far as I understand it, there are significant security benefits
and no drawbacks (perhaps except for a few extra bytes in the cookie)
to making all the cookies http-only.  Is there some good reason we're
missing why you don't do this?

Best,

--- Yuchen
Yuchen Zhou
yz...@virginia.edu
Graduate student at Computer Science Dept.
University of Virginia