This is incorrect.  The user object returned with a status is intended to be
represent the current user object, not a historical one.  However.  There
are currently several bugs open around this, so the user object currently
represents a snapshot of the user some time in the fairly recent past.

  ---Mark

http://twitter.com/mccv