I'm assuming "popular" is based on retweet count?

I'd suggest that if result_type is not given in the request that the
search performs as it has been. If you want just popular, you'd use
popular as you've suggested or recent for non popular. If you wanted a
mix, ordered as you are suggesting, then add the value "all" for the
result_type.

That would be much more of an extension/feature rather than a
refactor.