Your definition of "time to adjust" may not be ours. Twitter has, to
be honest, a fairly crappy reputation for changing API behavior. While
some of that was surely driven by performance concerns, I don't see
how this could be. This doesn't help the rep.

Please, do not enable this by default, *ever*. Don't change behavior
unless it is necessary. Add a new API method, or make recent results
the default and keep it that way.

If you're advocating for developers, advocate for making us do less
work to maintain current functionality, please.

--
Ed Finkler
http://funkatron.com