I couldn't trivially reproduce this. But, I'll say that I suspect that there
may indeed be some sort of bug around tracking on screen names and not
always getting all tweets. There might be some combination of text reply vs.
explicit reply vs. protected vs. private vs. something that causes problems.
I've just retested a few combinations, and they seem to work.

Did you receive any limit messages on the stream? Could you have been track
rate limited at the moment when this message was sent? If send your account
and the time, in UTC, that you logged in the stream, I can look to see how
many limit messages we've sent to you.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.