Many of our users are complaining that recently, using our app, they
are getting bizarre "Account update failed: pending email is invalid"
errors when trying to change profile info on Twitter (location, full
name, bio).

I see that this is a known issue -- http://bit.ly/bFs79q (not sure if
there is a bug tracker for this one?), and am wondering a) when a fix
is planned and b) if there are any ways to avoid this problem?  It is
happening for a subset of our users, not all users... so what's the
scoop?  It happens if the user has changed emails in the past?  Or if
we are using basic vs oauth?  Or what?