On Apr 1, 4:34 pm, Aki <yoru.fuku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm developing desktop Twitter client. I think accurate sorting is
> needed, because the order of tweets may look different on every
> application without accurate sorting. It's not that it would totally
> kill my Twitter client, but I take accurate presentation of tweets
> seriously, and I think it would be better to have consistent tweet
> ordering across all applications.
>
> If this scheme change is really needed (e.g. required to processing
> new tweets simultaneously across multiple servers without
> synchronising tweet ID), I would suggest adding time in milliseconds
> to tweet information, which would have much better accuracy.

No matter what the timestamp resolution is, you're still going to have
non-zero probability of multiple tweets per timestamp. And if you have
an "event" somewhere, like an earthquake or an orca killing his
trainer
in a show, you're going to see bursts of tweets from the scene,
assuming
the infrastructure survived the event. The probability of multiple
tweets per timestamp will increase dramatically in such a
circumstance.

But - I personally don't see how it would hurt Twitter to "publish"
average tweet inter-arrival times or average tweets per second on a
web
page for all the world to see. In fact, I'd love to be able to pull up
map of the world and see tweets-per-second mapped in (near) real time
-
say, refreshing every minute or so. Why make the world work to pull
this
out of the APIs? ;-)

How hard can it be?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsanim/world/