Several have gotten xAuth to work correctly.

I recommend verifying that the following is true:
1) You received approval for use of xAuth -- if you send me a note off-list
I can double check if this was granted for you
2) You are using the access_token endpoint with HTTPs:
https://api.twitter.com/oauth/access_token
3) Your POST body contains only the x_auth parameters, and the values are
URL encoded as POST bodies are supposed to be
4) You're using header-based authentication; query-string based auth will
not work for xAuth
5) Your signature base string contains the x_auth parameters just like any
other parameters, merged and sorted with the oauth_* parameters, with each
value URL escaped. If URL escaping was required to generate a valid POST
body string, then the values in your signature base string will likely be
double URL encoded.

Concrete example:
- You are logging in as a user named "user1234" with a password "abcd+efgh="
- Your request URI should be https://api.twitter.com/oauth_access_token
- Your POST body should be (order does not matter)
"x_auth_username=user1234&x_auth_password=abcd%2Befgh%3D&x_auth_mode=client_auth"
- Your signature base string should be something similar to:
POST&https%3A%2F%2Fapi.twitter.com
%2Foauth%2Faccess_token&oauth_consumer_key%3Dri8JxYK2ddwSV5xIUfNNvQ%26oauth_nonce%3D5lReHcSFHYzKb1A4NqHIpoAhX08usNQpzAboyxEdUCI%26oauth_signature_method%3DHMAC-SHA1%26oauth_timestamp%3D1270583500%26oauth_version%3D1.0%26x_auth_mode%3Dclient_auth%26x_auth_password%3Dabcd%252Befgh%253D%26x_auth_username%3Duser1234

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod