----- "Mike Champion" <mike.champ...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, interesting post form Fred, especially coming a week before
> Chirp.
>
> Are there classes of "killer apps" that should be built but haven't
> been? I left a comment on his blog that I would love an app that
> somehow aggregated the recommendations from my twitter stream for
> things like books, music, movies, etc. I tend to trust social
> recommendations often times more than algorithmic ones.

I think

a. That falls into what Fred calls "the obvious ones".
b. Facebook has the pole position here and it's a waste of Twitter ecosystem
resources to try and beat Facebook.

> And I certainly expect more and more great apps will be built around
> data mining the tweet stream and the streaming API.

Again, I think this is in Fred's "obvious" class.

> What would have to change for there to be 10X the number of (quality)
> Twitter apps as there are now? A simpler way to make money? More
> success stories? A fund for Twitter app developers? Changes/maturity
> in the Twitter platform?

I'm not sure that question has an answer, and I'm not sure it's even the right
one to ask. The question I'll throw out is, "How can the Twitter ecosystem
enhance the quality of life for the most people?" Because when we get an answer
to *that* question, the businesses and the money will follow. Business is about
making peoples' lives *better*, solving real problems for real people, saving
them money and time, and so on.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net @znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős