Surely all twitter developers are getting their success on the coattails of
Twitter, rather than twitter getting success on the coattails of the
developers?
If you as a user, as a supplier to users, cannot find something that tweetie
doesn't do then maybe you haven't got your ear to the ground of what twitter
users want to see.  My aim is to carry on with what I'm doing, and
[hopefully] do it well before twitter can do it; if twitter then want to
come knocking, that's up to them; if they want to replicate my service,
that's up to them; hopefully I'll have enough users to survive.
To me, this just ups the ante, and makes the environment just a little bit
more edgy and competitive.  Which is great, if you don't see the people
you're competing with.  Not sure how I'd feel if I was going to #chirp.