Absolutely right but then the comment, "it's dangerous to be a Twitter
only client" comes to mind.  The formula then becomes to develop for
other networks (StatusNet?).  Good for the end user and other networks
but ultimately good for Twitter?  The argument could be made that it's
good for everyone...or maybe counter-productive since the wheel is
being reinvented?

Twitter, help us find another formula to continue to help you...