I'm converting a twitter client from basic auth to xauth and
everything is working fine except I have been unable to generate an
oAuth token using xauth if the user attempts to sign in with an email
address instead of their Twitter username.

Is a Twitter user's email address a valid value for an xAuth
x_auth_username parameter?  And if so, is there anything about the
encoding that's odd?  I've tried the various obvious forms of HTTP
value escaping but with no luck so far.

It would be really nice to see something like the access_token page's
Example Signature Base String that uses an email address (if that is
even supported?) successfully.

Thanks in advance.