> Right now the web UI exposes every piece of metadata in a tweet to
> end-users. That is, an end-user can use twitter.com to check the complete
> contents of tweet sent by an application. I didn’t see anything in the
> proposals regarding the annotation feature that says that users will be able
> to see all the annotations through the web UI. And, even if they could see
> them, chances are they couldn’t understand them. And, even if end-users
> could understand them, applications will be able to use encryption and other
> obfuscation to make them impossible to interpret. This reduces the amount of
> control users have over their tweets.

this wasn't always true -- there was a period where the web client showed no
geo information at all.  geo was an API only feature.  at current time, it
is still a bit unknown how the twitter.com webclient will utilize
annotations (just like its unknown how the ecosystem will utilize
annotations).

> I think there must be some kind of control mechanism in place for
> annotations, or the web UI must present all the annotations of a user’s
> tweets to that user, or both, in order to prevent the annotations feature
> from becoming a side channel for applications to communicate users’ private
> information without users’ knowledge or consent. I would like to know more
> about how this is going to be done.

at this point, we're not planning to have any elaborate control mechanisms
over annotations, however, your point of being able to use twitter.com as a
"debugging" interface is an interesting one.

--
Raffi Krikorian
Twitter Platform Team