The Streaming API is currently configured to send a keep-alive newline
every 30 seconds. If you don't receive any data or the keep-alive in
perhaps 60 or 90 seconds, you should drop and reconnect. The only case
where what you observed should happen is if a load balancer restarts.
I don't think this happened at 4pm -- rather, there was a Hosebird
deploy at around this time. If anything, you should have received an
HTTP error code, a TCP RST or TCP CLOSE at this time.

If you were connecting twice with the same username, your earlier
connection may have been dropped due to duplication.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.