Yes, the email that is sent out after an application is suspended does
explain possible rule violations. This email is sent to the account
that registered the application, so if you've registered an app with
an auxiliary account not tied to an email address you check regularly
then an app suspension may come as a rather unfortunate surprise.

While there is no "sandbox," we're very open to discussing any
concerns an app developer may have while they develop their app. The
best course of action is to read the rules first while developing.  If
you're still worried a feature you're developing may result in your
users being suspended our your entire app being suspended then you can
always email us at a...@twitter.com and we'll be happy to work with you
to ensure the longevity of your application.  I hope this helps.

-Brian