Raffi,

One solution, which I know won't win the popularity prize, is for
Twitter to relax its XAuth restrictions and allow web apps to use full
OAuth and/or XAuth, depending on what works best for them.

In my case, I will still use full OAuth because it's so much better
than dealing with Twitter credential issues. But, I will add a small
link below the Twitter authorize button on my site that says something
like, "Can't get to Twitter.com?" which then leads to a username-
password entry form, and then triggers an XAuth authorization.