I know it's a compromise. But, it does serve the needs of a very large
number of users.

Maybe you could monitor the authentication profile of a web app. If it
uses more XAuth than OAuth, then you know you need to contact the
owner. Or, you can set an automated percentage threshold, such as
"XAuth authentications from a particular consumer key cannot exceed
25% of all authentications from that key."