On 4/26/2010 8:59 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On 04/26/2010 05:16 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
xAuth is a method for which to exchange usernames and passwords for those
tokens, without send the user through the workflow.  this is for two
reasons: 1. mobile/desktop application authors have complained that it makes
their UX fugly when they bring up a web browser (i'll hold my opinions on
this); and 2. web applications that have been storing usernames and
passwords need a method to "bulk convert" all their users over to oauth
tokens.

and 3. Browserless environments. I'm pretty sure that was one of the initial
motivators way back when the crud was flying.

Yeah ... but I *like* having the browser involved.

Which is fine. However, there are other people who don't like getting the browser involved (people making command line Linux programs, for instance, or people exposing their own APIs that interact with Twitter).