Hi Chris,

There's currently no good way I know of to do this on your own using the API
purely without caching and comparisons in your backend. The favorites
endpoint returns statuses rather than "favorite objects" with embedded
statuses. There's definitely value in loading them the way you intend and
we'll keep that in mind for the future.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod