Hi Developers,

In the interests of continuing to make the transition from basic
authentication easier for the many different kinds of developers interfacing
with the Twitter API, we introduced a new feature to the
dev.twitter.comdeveloper portal today that will allow you to create an
access token on your
own behalf for any of the applications registered under your account.

You can find this feature by viewing the application detail page for any of
your applications at http://dev.twitter.com/apps and clicking on the "My
Access Token" link in the right-hand sidebar. You'll be presented with both
the oauth_token and oauth_token_secret for your user account and the
application currently being viewed. With the collective access token pieces,
your API/consumer key and consumer secret, you have all the pieces of
information you need to make authenticated REST API calls to Twitter when
used in conjunction with an OAuth library or a home brew solution.

Application developers who are primarily writing applications for a
single-user use case (and are not providing the application through direct
distribution to the public) will be best served by this feature, though it
also provides you a quick and easy way to get up and running with the API
without having to master all the complicated steps of the token negotiation
dance. It is not recommended to include a hard-coded access token in any
application: desktop, web, or otherwise.

We're collecting examples using different combinations of programming
languages, OAuth and Twitter libraries at http://bit.ly/1token -- if you
have an example of using the Twitter API after massaging an oauth_token and
oauth_token_secret into an access token object (or however the internal
logic of the libraries you use handle this relationship) and would like to
see it included, drop me an email. This is a familiar pattern to any
OAuth-based implementation that persistently stores access tokens.

In addition, we've recently revised our OAuth documentation with more
examples on "the best path" to using OAuth at Twitter. This document is by
no means complete and will continue to expand and be refined. You can find
this at http://dev.twitter.com/auth

We hope you find this enhancement useful while contemplating the mandatory
transition to OAuth. Today is April 28th. You have 8 weeks and 6 days to
make the transition. http://countdowntooauth.com/

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod