For those of us who use simple Classic ASP scripts and Xhttp to
autmatically update statuses for our websites (my site automatically
updates its twitter status whenever someone posts a new ad), or for
those who use PHP curl for similar things, why not bypass Oauth
altogether, and instead of deprecating basic authentication
altogether, make a few minor changes to it for our needs?

Have us go ahead and register our app with twitter, or the URL which
bears the code to send the twitter update.
Have twitter issue a key and secret for that url.
Have twitter check to make sure the url sending an update is a
registered app and that it has the correct key and secret
.
If/when 2 legged oauth is activated, will it work that way?