Thanks for all the replies so far.

Just to clarify, we probably won't be hitting the limit, but I need to
be able to explain the existence of the limit to our clients, and part
of that includes being able to explain to them the details behind how
the limit is applied. Personally, I'm perfectly satisfied with not
knowing what the precise sub-limit is, but to be on the safe side, can
I at least ask why the info isn't publicly available? For example,
could it be because the limit isn't actually a fixed rate but a
dynamic one subject to change depending on the circumstances? I need
to know just in case I'm asked why I can't get these details.

Can I ask further details about status/update limit whitelisting here,
or should I mail a...@twitter directly about it? I assume that apps are
added to the whitelist on some case-to-case combination of both the
needs of the app, and the popularity/usage of the app? Am I correct to
assume that new apps are generally not added to the whitelist until
they've build up a substantial user-base?