As a general rule, whenever Twitter is cagey about limits, it's due to
anti-abuse reasons. It's not in the interest of fighting abuse, and
thus the community as a whole, to talk about certain limits. Also,
some limits are subject to continuous or unannounced adjustment, so
they're not practical to make public. This issue has been aired
before, at length, on this list. Please save your emails, as there's
little chance that rhetoric will persuade the abuse people to go
against data that show that the current policy is, unfortunately, the
best policy.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.