I had the same issues. The descriptions on the Twitter API Wiki
(http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Twitter-REST-API-Method:-favorites
%C2%A0create) and on the new Twitter DEV portal (http://
dev.twitter.com/doc/post/favorites/create) are contradicting each
other.

The correct one is the one on the Wiki. The one described on the DEV
portal, as you said, comes back with an error message if you use POST
(and asks for GET). When you use GET it comes back with a "not
authorized" error.

Cheers
Georgios