Cameron is right, you should be using HTTPS. xAuth requests (and all the
oauth endpoints for token negotiation) won't work with the API console as
it's for making resource requests with access tokens -- not requests to
retrieve access tokens..

Make sure that the following is true when using xAuth:
  * You are using POST
  * You are using SSL
  * Your xAuth parameters are the ONLY parameters in your POST body
  * You're setting a Content-Type header of
"application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
  * Your xAuth parameters are properly part of your signature base string,
where they will appear at the end of the signature base string in
alphabetical order
  * You're using HTTP header-based OAuth -- not attaching OAuth parameters
to the URL or POST body
  * You're HTTP Authorization header should only have oauth_* parameters in
it, not any of the xauth parameters

Given all these conditions, and enabled xAuth access, xAuth should work for
you.

Taylor Singletary
Developer Advocate, Twitter
http://twitter.com/episod