Read-until is naturally stored with, or in relation-to, the User
object. Due to temporary infrastructure limitations, that is database
issues, it's not really feasible to add additional high-velocity
columns on Users for a little while. Once this limitation is sorted
out, the Platform team can do all sorts of interesting things. There's
a whole team of folks dedicated to working on this infrastructure.

-John Kalucki
http://twitter.com/jkalucki
Infrastructure, Twitter Inc.