I've spent a good 12 hours on this so far and this is where I've got

1) I use the same code to generate the oAuth header for echo and
communicating to the Twitter API
2) I generate a fake request to verify_credentials and generate the
oauth http header but change Authorization to X-Verify-Credentials-
Authorization and add the X-Auth-Service-Provider header
3) I change the request url to the TwitPic api and post the image
4) TwitPic comes back with a 401 oauth header error (specifically says
oauth header in the response)

To check the oAuth header was OK I change my code to use Authorization
instead of X-Verify-Credentials-Authorization and send it directly to
verify_credentials (obviously ignoring the image data part!)

Twitter responds with JSON and an HTTP status of 200, so I'm pretty
sure that my oAuth header is right