On Sunday, May 16, 2010 12:58:13 am Michael Brunton-Spall wrote:
> I'll just briefly disagree with you about point 2.
> OAuth does not require that you have a browser available.  With Twitter
> supporting xAuth your desktop or mobile application can take a persons
> username and password and exchange them for an Access Token for accessing
> protected resources via OAuth without ever firing up the browser.
>
> You can find out more about twitter and xauth at
> http://dev.twitter.com/pages/xauth

I'm aware of xauth, but I'm likely going to stick with browser-based oAuth and
with a browser-based view component of the application. It's too hard to get a
"portable" "native" desktop UI any other way. People know how to use browsers.

For example, think about the SugarCRM "Community Edition". If you run that as
a stand-alone desktop application on a Windows, Linux or Mac desktop, what
you've actually got is a whole PHP stack model/view/controller application
with your browser pointing to localhost. Using a browser for the UI and a
model/view/controller stack  vastly increases the number of open source tools
I can bring to bear.

> I think you are missing the point as to why twitter don't want web client
> to use the user streams right now.  Much fewer people use desktop
> applications than use mobile or web applications.  If you upgrade your
> desktop app to use the user streams then all of your customers have to
> upgrade their app, which will happen slowly over time.  If you upgrade a
> web app all of your clients get upgraded all simultaneously.  It sounds
> like it's purely a capacity issue at the moment.

First of all, this is a new application, not an upgrade to an existing one.
Second, since it depends on Twitter and user streams, it's not going to be
deployed until Twitter has the capacity to support it. And third, it *is*
going to be a desktop application, not deployed on servers or mobiles. I
simply don't want to have technologies ruled out because they're "usually"
used on servers, like a web application stack.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky/ @znmeb

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős