Their echo service is working properly as of Sunday when I was talking
with one of their engineers who deployed a fix.

If you still get a 401 it's likely you haven't signed the echo header
properly

1) You do not oAuth sign the actual request to TwitPic
2) You make a fake request to Twitter's verify credentials api over
SSL and grab the Authorization header that would be sent, however when
you create the header make sure you include a 'Realm' of https://api.twitter.com
3) Create a new post request to TwitPic and put the oAuth header that
you grabbed from Authorization in the HTTP header X-Verify-Credentials-
Authorization
4) Add a X-Auth-Service-Provider header with the URL to verify
credentials.
5) You should be good to go after that

If you get the signature right, it will work as I and a few others
have got it working when we were liasing with their engineers on
Sunday