result_type=popular won't do it for my project. This criterion is very
restrictive. Even if one searches for a widely used hashtag such as
#cerati, no results or very few results will show up as popular. In
fact, if you search for "twitter" you get only a couple of "popular"
tweets!

Furthermore, the problem with result_type=popular is that you cannot
measure exactly how popular any of the results are. You can't order
them by popularity either. How many times have they been RT? How many
times have they been favorited? It's a black box.

What I would like to do is to query the API in such a way that I can
get, for instance, "all tweets that have been favorited at least 5
times for a given hashtag".

What I am doing right now is:
- search for all tweets that include the hashtag
- count how many times each of them have been favorited by the
(~1,500) followers of my account. (For this I use the "favorite" API
method).

What I would like to achieve is:
- find out how many times each of those tweets has been favorited by
any users (not just my followers). But it seems this can't be done.
- query the API in a simpler way (right now I have to constantly check
the tweets that have been favorited by each of my 1,500 followers just
to see if they happen to have favorited any of the tweets that contain
the hashtag in question).

Thanks,

Gustavo